These past few weeks have been quiet in the Reynolds household as we gear up for the Holiday’s ahead and as temperatures drop, I am all about staying in, cozying up and hibernating. This past weekend as it hit a low of 35° in Brooklyn, Tim and I did just that.
I recipe tested, we cleaned the apartment, snuggled with Summit and caught up on the newest season of Jack Ryan (love me some John Krasinski).
One of the recipes I’ve been dying to test is this gluten free, refined sugar free apple crisp. Apple crisps are hands down one of my favorite desserts, so coming up with a ‘cleaner’ version has been on my list for some time. I first tested the topping for this to add to Simple Mill’s Pumpkin Bread mix, in this Pumpkin Chocolate Crumb Cake recipe and it did not disappoint.
With all natural ingredients this recipe is a winner for breakfast, dessert or just as a snack. I personally suggest serving this warmed up (throw a serving in the microwave for 30-60 seconds), and adding vanilla yogurt on top. I love Siggi’s or Icelandic Skyr, which are both not only creamy but chalked full of protein, meaning you’ll stay fuller longer. This has been my go-to breakfast the last few mornings and it’s been a warming way to start the day.
Refined Sugar Free Apple Crisp
- 9×9 inch pan
- 3 Apples I used Honey Crisp
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Maple Syrup Organic, 100% pure (read your labels)
- 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 cup Rollled Oats I love Bob's Red Mill brand
- 8 Pitted Dates
- 3 Tbsp Ghee or Butter melted
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup Organic, 100% pure (read your labels)
- Handful Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease pan with ghee or butter
- Peel and slice apples
- Mix apples, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and ground ginger in a bowl, until apples are well coated
- Transfer to greased pan
- Add rollled oats, walnuts, dates and cinnamon to food processor, pulsing until dates are well blended about one minute
- Add melted butter and continue to pulse
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, add in maple syrup and mix thoroughly with hands
- Sprinkle topping over apples in an even layer
- Bake 45 minutes