Everyone told us that once our daughter was born, Summit would fade into the background and become just ‘a dog’. Tim and I refused to let this become true and have been trying to make a concerted effort this past year to avoid just that. While life is looking a little different for all of us these days, there are still aspects of Summit’s Brooklyn routine that we’ve been keeping alive. We still take him to the dog park (even though we now have a backyard) and we’re sure to bring him on runs or outings whenever we can. We still make him homemade, organic treats and Aveline LOVES sharing all her snacks with him… in fact I think he’s been making out even better since she’s come along!
One tradition that we hold near to our hearts, has always been Summit’s birthday. We’ve been so lucky to celebrate the past 3 years with his sisters and were so sad when Covid and a snowstorm threw a wrench in this year’s plans. Instead of our usual park outing, we celebrated a little more low key this time around – eggs for breakfast, frisbee in the afternoon snow, and steak and cake for dinner!
For this year’s cake, I replicated this recipe from The Dish Next Door, using crushed up Mini Milk Bones to decorate. It was so simple to make and Summit ate it right up! While he probably didn’t appreciate the decorations quite as much as Aveline seemed to, it was still fun to come up with a theme and set a celebratory mood anyway!
Throwing a birthday party for your pup is just like celebrating any human’s special day and here’s a checklist to help ensure you have every angle covered:
- Start with a celebratory breakfast: we always make Summit eggs with a little bacon, sausage, or cheese
- Whip up some easy homemade treats to have on hand or give as party favors
- Decorate to your heart’s desire… this year’s balloons, garland, banners, and bowtie all came from Target, with past year’s decor coming from Etsy
- Cook up a celebratory dinner: Summit loves a good steak
- Finish with cake and a sweet candle
- Add ons:
- Planning fun activities can be fun for everyone. We love to head to the park or on a long hike
- Gifts: every year we love to spoil Summit with some new toys. He’s really into frisbees so this year we got this Kong one to mix up with his absolute favorite flyers
While this year didn’t quite bring us the party we were hoping for this little guy, we are looking forward to being reunited with his sisters soon enough!