Over the weekend, we celebrated Timothy’s first Father’s Day! Since it was going to be one of those ‘once in a lifetime’ milestones, I wanted to make sure it was really special.
His mom and I sat down to strategize a menu and came up with the perfect plan. Originally, we were going to have an all out food extravaganza on Saturday but once we looked at everything we had, decided to split it out over the course of two days.
On Saturday, we made an array of sausages (brats, kielbasas, chorizos), with sauerkraut, beer onions, my roasted summer corn salad, and a homemade key lime pie for dessert.
Then on Sunday, we planned for scallops in a brown butter sauce with parmesan crisps. It would be the best of both worlds and I knew Tim would love it.
While Tim isn’t a huge breakfast person, he does have a few favorite breakfast dishes, with quiche being one of them. In Brooklyn, we have this amazing little bakery near our apartment where we would often get a slice to split, so I wanted to bring a little piece of “home”, home and recreate it as best I could. This definitely is not the ‘cleanest’ recipe, but sometimes you just got to opt for the real deal. We paired this with a simple breakfast salad, some fresh squeezed OJ, and Aveline’s handmade Dad mug.
It made for a pretty memorable weekend if I do say so myself and I’m already trying to think of ways to top it next year!
Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
- 1 Pre-made Pie Crust
- 3 cups Broccoli florets chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Sweet Onion cut into strings
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 6 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Red Hot Chili Flakes
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Take pie crust out of refrigerator and drape over a 9 inch cooking dish, pinching edges
- In a non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 mins until flagrant
- Add onion and cook another 2-3 mins until softened
- Add broccoli, stirring frequently 5 minutes
- While the broccoli cooks, beat eggs, milk, and chili flakes together in a bowl
- Once mixed, stir in cheese
- Place broccoli, onions and garlic into the pie crust, arranging in a even layer
- Pour egg mix over top
- Sprinkle with a little more cheese and pop into oven
- Cook 40 minutes or until eggs set
- Remove from oven, let sit 5 mins and enjoy!